Naim Audio NAC-272 Preamp/Media Streamer/DAC
Two worlds collide.
The NAC-N 272 combines our digital audio technology with classic analogue preamplifier engineering. It samples the best of both worlds to create an immensely musical hi-fi system.
Paired with a NAP 200, NAP 250 or even a NAP 300 power amplifier, the 272 is an ideal choice for those seeking the convenience of a single box streaming system with iOS and Android app control, but that crave hi-fi separates performance. It boasts an impressive array of inputs including high-resolution (up to 24bit/192kHz) UPnPTM streaming, Spotify Connect, iRadio, Bluetooth (aptX), USB, multiroom, TIDAL music streaming support and an optional DAB/FM module. Six digital and three analogue inputs cover integration with a wide range of sources from CD and games consoles to phonostages. It’s also performance upgradable with the addition of a Naim Audio XP5 XS, XPS or 555 PS power supply.
All this functionality does not come at the cost of performance. The 272 has been carefully designed and meticulously hand-crafted to deliver a completely immersive and awe-inspiring music experience.
- High quality preamplifier including digitally controlled analogue volume control
- UPnP-enabled to allow streaming of audio files at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution from Naim Audio hard disk servers, network-attached storage (NAS) devices or any home computer
- Performance upgradable with XPS or 555 PS power supply
- Supports a broad range of music formats: WAV, FLAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF, AAC, DSF64 and DFF64, Windows Media-formatted files, Ogg Vorbis and MP3
- Six 24bit/192kHz-capable digital inputs (S/PDIF) to support optimum connection to external sources
- Spotify Connect built-in to stream millions of songs from the world’s most popular streaming service
- Native support for TIDAL streaming service with free 90 day trial of lossless HiFi tier
- Bluetooth connectivity with aptX audio codec
- Hand-built in Salisbury England
All analogue input sockets on the 272 are individually hand wired to the main board to enhance mechanical decoupling. The board itself is mounted on a system of shoulder bolts which releases any tension which can adversely affect sound quality. The sound critical resistors used arrive at Naim Audio matched to within 5%. This already high tolerance is improved before assembly by hand-matching to within margin of just 1%. We then go even further by introducing a slight mechanically compliant bend in the legs of each one during assembly. We take this care and attention because we know it can help to make the difference in producing the incredible sound on which we’ve built our reputation.
Hybrid Volume Control & Class-A Headphone Amp
The 272 volume control is derived from the design of the flagship Statement NAC S1 control. It offers smooth operation and perfect level match¬ing while a Class-A single-ended headphone amplifier makes the most of high-performance headphones. As soon as headphones are plugged in, the output current drive is automatically turned up five times to give dynamic drive for all headphone impedances.
After the debacle of incorporating a DAC into the original Naim SuperNait integrated amplifier, Naim has learned a lot on how to shield the Digital Circuitry from the analogue and isolating their power supplies. The Naim NAC-272 Preamp sonically sits much closer to Naim’s superb NAC-282 Preamp than it does to the Naim NAC-202. In fact, it is so good that with an upgrade of XPS-DR Power Supply, Pat’s Audio Art feels that it is better sounding than the Naim NAC-282 with a SuperCap-DR Power Supply, while being 15% less expensive. (Perhaps it is due to the NAC-272’s superb Volume Control coming as Spin-off from Naim’s Statement Technology). The beauty is the Naim NAC-272 comes with an excellent Streamer/DAC approaching the sonic qualities of the Naim NDX-2. Pat feels that the Naim NAC-272 Preamp/Streamer/DAC is the best buy in a Naim Preamp component.
We will do our best to meet or beat our Canadian competitor’s prices for new and current products.
Please phone 604-569-2883 and talk to Pat.